Parenting through the Toddler years: Introductory Workshop
Workshop for parents/caregivers with children 12-36 months
The first three years of life are when your child's most dramatic brain development occurs. During these early years, parents have the profound opportunity to nurture their child’s cognitive, social, and emotional development through connected, responsive parenting. This workshop seeks to support parents of toddlers by offering a glimpse into their child's rapidly developing brain, an overview of typical developmental milestones, and guidelines for setting developmentally appropriate expectations (“When is my son old enough to know how to share his toys?” “Why does my daughter run away when I tell her to sit down?”). We will practice evidence-based positive discipline strategies to navigate challenging toddler behaviors and set appropriate limits, while maintaining a strong connection with your child through the toddler years.
This workshop leads to an in-depth, five-week Parenting Through the Toddler Years series.
- Wednesday, July 18, 7-9pm (Kaiser: Mission Bay campus): 7-9pm - Note: This course is named "Guiding Your Toddler" at Kaiser. Please note: You do NOT need to be a Kaiser member to participate. For more information and to register, call the Kaiser Health Education Department at (415) 833-3450 or email SFHealthEd@kp.org.
- Wednesday, September 5, 7-9pm (Kaiser: Geary campus): 7-9pm - Note: This course is named "Guiding Your Toddler" at Kaiser. Please note: You do NOT need to be a Kaiser member to participate. For more information and to register, call the Kaiser Health Education Department at (415) 833-3450 or email SFHealthEd@kp.org.
Also, check out our Fall Tuesday option (with optional childcare) - intro class bundled with 5-week series: 6-week Parenting Through the Toddler Years parenting series (parents only) $300 with optional childcare if available - includes Intro workshop + 5-week series - Tuesdays, Sept 4-Oct 9, 10am-noon - Click here for more details and to register. Optional childcare (if available) is an additional $90 (includes all six classes) - Please see if there is space for the childcare option if needed upon registration. There will only be eight spots for childcare.
Special Note: Early Childhood Matters will also be offering a special Potty Training 101 class that is usually part of our Parenting Through the Toddler Years 5-week series over the Summer, just in time to get your child ready for preschool!
To register: https://www.recessurbanrecreation.com/schedule/
- When do I start potty training?
- Is the 3-day method best for my child?
- Will potty training with m&m’s backfire at all?
- How does night-training work?
These may be just a few of your questions when you think about this seemingly daunting task of saying goodbye to diapers!
Join Rebecca Walsh, Director of Early Childhood Matters to learn strategies for supporting your child during potty training. Learn how to use a gentle approach to help guide her through this important development milestone. This course teaches positive methods not based on reward systems that will encourage internal motivation and cooperation from even the youngest child. We will discuss the positives and pitfalls of popular methods including the "three day method" and learn developmentally appropriate techniques based on best practices in the field of Early Childhood Education. Rebecca will also share her best tips and tricks from 20-years experience helping to potty train other people's children as well as her own three potty-trained children!
Recommended for parents of children 14-36 months old.
Enroll: Advance Sign-Ups Required
Cost: $38 single/$58 couple Recess members receive discount (up to 25%) on enrollment!